- Vowels I misspelled - Under this column students will examine the the vowels that they've misspelled. They will examine the misspelling and the correct spelling and then will but the vowels correct spelling in the box. If the vowel is a diphthong they will put both letters in the box, even if they got one of the letters in the diphthong right.
- Consonants I misspelled - Students will put the correct spelling of the consonants in the box. Again if the consonant is a diphthong or a blend they will put both letters in the box.
- I missed a letter - The letter that was missed will go in the box.
- I have too many letters - If there word has too many letters they will put a check-mark here.
- My letters are in the wrong order - Students will write the letters that they reversed in the correct order
- I had trouble adding the word ending - If students had trouble following the rules for adding word endings like (ing, ed, ful, etc.) they will write the word ending plus two letters in this box.
Once they have finished the chart I would have my students set a spelling goal to work on based on there chart. Once the goal has been set the teach and student can figure out different ways that they can work on their goal.