So many kids looks at a big word and then get immediately overwhelmed when trying to learn how to spell it. This strategy helps, by breaking up spelling the word into more manageable parts. The steps to this strategy are:
- Say and clap the word's syllables.
- Divide the word into it's syllables and pronounce each syllable.
- Say a syllable, then spell it, say a syllable, then spell it.
- Circle syllables with harder spelling patterns.
- Create a mnemonic device for the syllable. (I would think that this step is optional)
- Cover, say a syllable, write the syllable, say a syllable, write the syllable, etc.