I needed to reformat my images to a different size, and a few days after I submitted my files I got this proof in the mail. At first I thought it's perfect I love it, but when I looked closer I realized that there were a few things that needed to be fixed.
First of all, although you can't tell in the picture above, the b looks closer to purple than to blue, and d looks a bit orange when he is supposed to be red. This wouldn't be that big of deal except that the letter b really should be blue.
And thirdly, b's eye's are squished together. So I knew that I still had some work to do before I started selling them.
Why my colors shifted from blue to purple.
So when the printer what trying to convert my rgb colors into cmyk colors that is when they shifted. Apparently rgb has a much bigger range of colors than cmyk. So the colors that I was using couldn't the printer couldn't actually duplicate, and when it tried to pick a similar color the colors shifted.
. . . and the solution
So I went off in search of a free alternative. The usually answer to this is of course gimp. So I checked and no gimp doesn't do cmyk. After a lot more search I discovered that there was a plug in to gimp that could. Seperate+ So I was all excited that I was going to find a solution.
Four hours later after trying to install this said plug-in, I discovered that the problem wasn't with the plug-in or the instructions on how to install it, it was just not going to work with the current version of gimp that I had installed. So I installed a back version and finally was able to convert my images.
As of today I've ordered another proof, and cross my fingers hopefully this one will be the final version.
The writing bug
I'm still in the process of converting the word ladders to the proper format for create space but soon instead of printing out a bunch of copies you can buy a book with them already printed out for you.